It is with the reading of books the same as with looking at pictures; one must, without doubt, without hesitations, with assurance, admire what is beautiful.”
– Vincent Van Gogh
What to do while the paint is drying? If I have a comfy spot, I’ll grab a book and catch up on some reading.
As I’m daydreaming (a lot these days) about what my permanent studio will look like, I’m definitely conjuring up a cozy reading nook tucked in amongst the paint and canvas.
image found here
Here’s how the perfect studio morning would go– I step out my backdoor and take a leisurely walk to my studio among the trees.
image found here
After painting for a few hours, as I wait for the paintings to dry, I make a cup of coffee and curl up in my reading nook with a book. Maybe an artist biography (this Joan Mitchell bio is so good) or maybe I’ll just flip through a book of work by a favorite painter, like this book of Georgia O’Keeffe watercolors.
Of course, I dream about what that cozy little space will look like!
Light walls, wooden floors, fresh, cozy, textured, warm. A place with plenty of natural light (good for reading and painting!) and an atmosphere of sweet calm.
Since I’m daydreaming, why not be specific? So I spent a little time on the Arhaus website and put together the elements of my dream studio nook! PS- Make sure to check out all their lighting options— so important for good reading! AND during their storewide sale this month 10% of the purchase price of all lighting and accessory mirrors will go to Global Dental Relief.
- Painting, Shadow On the Wall by Lesley Frenz. Must make sure furniture matches the artwork!
- Rug, Zayne 8×10 Grey Rug by Arhaus.
- Chair, Dori 31″ Upholstered Chair in Madeline Gold by Arhaus. For guests, but more likely the cat.
- Light, Wooden Prism 22″ Chandelier by Arhaus. Don’t forget, buy this baby & that’s almost $70 to GDR!
- Pillow, Boho Ivory Applique Pillow by Arhaus.
- Sofa, Fiona 97″ Upholstered Tufted Sofa in Brussels Rosewood by Arhaus. I dream of velvet tufted sofas!
- Chest, Teal Ming Cabinet by Arhaus. For book & blanket storage, obvi.
- Ottoman, Gentry 50″ Upholstered Bench in Aliz Indigo by Arhaus. Somewhere soft for the tired footsies.
- Mug, Black & White Tumbler by Studio Joo. Coffee tastes better when sipped out of something beautiful.
- Throw, Faux Fur Brown Feather Throw by Arhaus. Something extra cozy for cold days in the PNW!
- Pillow, Stone Washed Velvet Rectangular Pillow in Stone by Arhaus. Never enough pillows in my world.
Just thinking about this space and doing this exercise has me so very excited to settle into a permanent studio next year! I have no idea what it will look like or where it will be, but there will be books and coffee and pillows. Oh yes, there will most definitely be!
Image sources linked above.